Two Done, One More Begun

I knocked two long arm UFO's off my list...and then I started another quilt! Crazy, right? (What is wrong with me??)

My niece and her wife will welcome a new baby boy in May. Last night I found the perfect pattern for a masculine baby quilt. Today, I couldn't wait to get started!

Wait....What? Masculine and baby?



Modern, masculine baby (32" x 44")
Dark brown, light blue, dark teal, with blue & teal polka dots on brown.
I love it, and I hope they will, too!

Here's the pattern I used:

From the current issue of "Best Modern Quilts" magazine

The pattern was written for a full sized quilt (64" x 88"), so I reworked the math to make mine exactly half that size. Perfect for a crib.

I shopped in my stash, so am staying true to my "fabricholics" pledge to use what I have. If I can scrounge a backing out of the cupboard, this could go straight to the head of the line and be the next quilt on the frame!

Yesterday was a busy day. I quilted two UFO's and started binding them. I finished binding them this morning.

Here they are,

Fresh off the frame:


Charity quilt in progress.



Charity quilt, finished.

Flannel baby quilt in progress.


Flannel baby quilt, finished.

Thankfully, the two layers of flannel are perfect without any batting. Soft and cozy!

Both quilts were bound entirely by machine for a fast, durable finish.

Off to scrounge in my cupboard, and try to stay on track! (Wish me luck with...oh, look! A squirrel!)

Try, Learn, Grow!

Carole

I welcome your comments. Thanks for stopping by!

Comments

  1. Wow who've you been productive! Nice quilting Carole, I especially like the modern baby quilt. Looks like you must have a great stash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marsha! So nice to see you here! I really like the modern quilt, too, and can't wait to finish it. My stash is generous, but not "scary huge". I sure love having it.

      Delete
  2. stopping by from A Lovely Year of Finishes., great Boy quilt, I have sons and grandsons always looking for inspiration. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be challenging to find inspiration for "guy" quilts, can't it? I just love this one, and may make it again (and again!) because it's so quick to stitch up, yet effective. Thanks so much for dropping by.

      Delete
  3. Carole, I love the scrappy look of the charity quilt, so many colours.

    I am just starting to appreciate the art of a modern quilt and yours is beautiful. Your great nephew is lucky to have such talent in the family. I see this as the first of his Auntie Carole quilts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After making this top, I certainly see the appeal of modern quilts for young moms/dads...it was so fast to make. I had the top made in a couple of hours! I love the graphic nature of this pattern.

      I like the light/dark play of the scrappy quilt. It would have been better with more blocks, but I worked with what I had. It will make a great toddler quilt. We donate to our local "child services" branch.

      Delete
  4. Well done for staying on the straight and narrow, great makes too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm enjoying the challenge of the "fabric fast". It forces me to find creative solutions and make interesting fabric combinations. Thanks for dropping in!

      Delete
  5. Good for you! We are all cheering you on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I managed to ferret out a backing fabric for the modern baby, and am now close to finishing it. Amazing what can be accomplished with a bit of focus. Thanks so much for saying hello!

      Delete
  6. Love the baby boy quilt! Congratulations to your niece and her wife!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. New family members are always so exciting! Thanks for your good wishes. I shall pass them along!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! Thanks so much for taking time to leave me a message.