Love, and the "Ugly Cry"

Remember the Hug Mug I brought home from Creative Stitches a while ago? It contained instructions and fabric for a "Hugs From Across Canada" block.

My finished block

When I mailed in my finished block, I offered to piece and finish a "Hugs" quilt if help was needed. 

Lezley (Quilts of Valour - Canada) accepted my offer and said she'd prepare a package of blocks for me to pick up next time I was in the city.

When the time came (this week), Lezley was kind enough to invite me to dinner and a guild meeting, too!

A cute project (made by Kathy Strawson) spotted at the guild meeting.

There are 51 blocks in the batch. I've sorted them into three "colour" piles so I can get to know them and formulate a plan. Each block is unique, and it will be fun to work with them!



Here is a block from Nunavut:



 Not sure where this is from, but I like the fussy cut maple leaves:


Simple, but effective use of fabric in this block:


I also picked up a bag of "Hug Mug" kits for members of my own guild.


I was in Edmonton for my FINAL reconstruction appointment - yay!!! (Whoop Whoop!!!)

It has been six years (yesterday, actually!) since my mastectomy. It feels great to finally see my cancer journey in the rear view mirror.

Here is the icing on the cake... at the end of the month I'm going to be a special model in Fashion With Compassion, a fundraiser for Compassion House in Edmonton!!! I was a guest there in 2008 while undergoing radiation treatments at the Cross Cancer Institute.

Before my medical appointment on Tuesday, I went for a fitting at Laura in West Edmonton Mall. Laura is dressing all the special models. So exciting!!! I've never been dressed by a stylist before!

Here is the gown I will be wearing to the gala. 



Yep, I have a goofy expression on my face - I was probably joking around, as usual! Ha! 

There will be better pictures in a couple of weeks. I will be all dolled up, with hair and make up, to boot. (Is that a Canadianism? To boot?)

I can't tell you how important support is to cancer patients, nor how meaningful it will be for me to see the "invisible" supporters become "visible" at that fundraiser. I just hope I don't do the ugly cry when I see the crowd!

I imagine this is how our military personnel feel about the support of quilters when they receive a quilt. It's a quilt, but it's not about the quilt. It's about the love. The invisible supporters becoming visible. (And the healing tears begin.)

Linking up with:
Whoop Whoop Fridays, at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Show off Saturday, at Sew Can She 

Try, Learn, Grow!
Carole

Comments are welcome and will be answered by email when possible. Thanks for looking around!

Comments

  1. What a pretty gown! Enjoy! Those blocks are looking good and I look forward what you do with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've given me a lump in my throat with your words at the end of this post. Sooo true. When I make quilts for people, I've been told they feel the love when they wrap up in it, and I know that is true. I believe all the good and loving vibrations are in my hands from my heart because I think of them and wish them well all the while I sew. Congrats on being cancer-free and on the last appointment. This is rather "wee-ooh, wee-ooh"-ish because your link is directly before mine on Sarah's Whoop Whoop post, the 2 links before mine are both Canadian quilts, I'm Canadian, and I was born and raised in Edmonton...we must chat! I'm intrigued by the hug mugs too, well, by many things in this post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is wonderful that you are finishing a love quilt. They will look wonderful. And you look fabulous in that dress. Great that you can be there for others to show the light at the end of the tunnel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think a healing cry could ever be an ugly cry. You are going to be stunning, and I am so happy for you!! Good luck with turning the blocks into quilts, but I am especially looking forward to details on your evenings. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my, Carole - you are stylin'! That dress looks great on you! Soak up all the love and not worry about a thing. Congrats on looking at your cancer journey in the Rear View Mirror - just where it belongs :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dittos to Yvonne! Healing tears are NEVER ugly!. You look beautiful....and I love the squares!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely post! I can't wait to see what you make with the blocks!

    Enjoy the gala!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We say to boot in Australia too. Maybe it's from England then?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Carole, I am the editor of the Quilts of Valour Canada newsletter. Also I assist with the website for QoV Canada. Would you give me permission to use a photo that you have in a post dated October 18, 2014. One of the series of hug blocks photos would go very well in an article in the next newsletter. You may reach me using newsletter@quiltsofvalour.ca Gina Delorenzi, QoV friend of Lez Zwall ( I have to sign as anonymous because none of the other comment methods work, I don't use Google.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! Thanks so much for taking time to leave me a message.