Quilts, On the Fly!

The Sisters Outdoor Quilt Show can be very overwhelming if you don't have a plan.
Quilts were hung EVERYWHERE!!!
Employee challenge quilts displayed on the side of The Stitchin' Post.
FreshofftheFrame.com

I started the day in the Teachers' Tent, and then checked out several Special Exhibits. As I moved through the day, I also photographed random quilts that caught my eye. This post is dedicated to quilts shot on the fly!

Some I found interesting for their subject matter - I'd just finished reading about Kandinsky, and what should I see?

Spotted in the "Students of Rosalie Dace" exhibit.
FreshofftheFrame.com

Some I enjoyed for their humour, like this selvedge confession!
Selvedge confession!
Photo by FreshofftheFrame.com

Sometimes I wanted a closer look at the quilting - I'd just had a class with Angela the day prior to the show!

Quilt by Julie Herman, quilted by Angela Walters.
FreshofftheFrame.com



Quilt by Julie Herman, quilting by Angela Walters.
FreshofftheFrame.com

This quilt reminded me of the Gees Bend philosophy of using what's available, plus I enjoyed its clever composition.
Quilt by Betty Anne Guadalupe.
FreshofftheFrame.com


I liked the "tumbling blocks" in this one - a new take on an old idea!
Photo by FreshofftheFrame.com


There was a special display of quilts - featuring Kona Solids - made by famous quilters in celebration of Kona's 30th anniversary.
Quilts made with Kona Solids.
FreshofftheFrame.com

VW vans and tie-dyed t-shirts . . . this quilt just made me smile!
"Row by Row" challenge exhibit.
FreshofftheFrame.com


The SAQA exhibit deserved more attention, but it was displayed in a busy restaurant courtyard.
Diners were accommodating, but it would have been poor form to lean over their tables or squeeze in behind them for a closer look. Pooh.
SAQA special exhibit - "View From Above" (I think that's the name!)
FreshofftheFrame.com


This one should just say, "Go quilt!", don't ya think??? Ha!
In the "Portland Modern Quilt Guild" exhibit
FreshofftheFrame.com

I was sad to say goodbye when the show was over, but it was time. The wind had picked up, my feet were tired, and I was almost "quilted out". Happily, we had Tula Pink's quilt walk to look forward to the next day. Yay!
FreshofftheFrame.com

Thanks for allowing me to share. It was like being there again!

Sisters Outdoor Quilt Show 2015
FreshofftheFrame.com


I hope to travel that way again some day.

"Cover to Cover" book club exhibit
FreshofftheFrame.com

Linking up with:
Let's Bee Social, at Sew Fresh Quilts
Needle and Thread Thursday, at My Quilt Infatuation

Try, Learn, and Grow!
Carole

Comments

  1. Lovely! Thank you for sharing the exhibit. I was amused to see the Japanese fabric in the denim quilt - I have exactly that fabric in my cupboard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can imagine it being very overwhelming! Does it never rain there?! Do quilts sometimes fall down in the wind? Is it throughout the whole town or just a small patch - basically how big an area does it cover?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many beautiful quilts. Talk about sensory overload. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photos - almost as good as visiting (which I have frankly no chance of doing!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You took some wonderful pix, I am so glad you shared them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can definitely see that it could be overwhelming to attend without a game plan. Thanks for sharing and passing along to those of us who weren't there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. thank you so much for sharing...and I loved your commentary. Will there be a Tula Pink Walk Show blog posting as well?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your photos are great! So inspiring. I'd love to see it in person! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some pieces are really wow! Thanks for sharing. Are you going to do some Kandinsky yourself? :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! Thanks so much for taking time to leave me a message.