"Less is More"

When that phrase is noted in big letters on a work order, restraint is the name of the game!

Client quilt, Fresh off the Frame!
FreshofftheFrame.com
Here is the BEFORE shot:

Before quilting
FreshofftheFrame.com
My client requested that I only ditch where necessary, so I stuck with outlining the blocks to give the quilt some structure. Next I quilted a loose arc around each star point to secure the background.

Blocks are ditched, and background arcs are stitched
FreshofftheFrame.com

Top stitching the stars secured their seams so they won't shift and bunch when the quilt is washed.

Top stitching crisps up the stars
FreshofftheFrame.com

The block corners were a challenge, and I doodled many (many) possibilities. I knew my client liked the curves, and that I also needed to keep things loose.

At last, the idea of using a simple, wavy outline struck - that did the trick!

Wavy lines outline the block corners
FreshofftheFrame.com

For a satisfying finish, wavy X-es in the border repeat both the wavy quilting and the idea of sharp points from the body of the quilt.


Wavy X-es finish the edges
FreshofftheFrame.com

The back of the quilt is a dance-themed print . . . so appropriate, since this joyful quilt makes my eyes dance!!!

Fun backing fabric!
FreshofftheFrame.com


Guess What???
Today, I actually worked on something of my own!!! :-)

It doesn't look like much, yet, but the background is mostly together. It will be a Christmas-y wall quilt that replicates a vintage postage stamp. (I'll share pattern info later - it's not handy at the moment.)

New project under way
FreshofftheFrame.com

I feel a need for speed, but also want a high quality finish since this will be donated to raise funds for our local Women's Shelter. (Not that I'd settle for a poor quality finish . . . )

With that in mind, I'm going to try Lara Buccella's Crafted Applique technique for the first time. There will be some tiny pieces to stitch down, so I'm particularly interested in its "no-fray" aspect. I'll let you know how things go!

Try, Learn, & Grow!
Carole

Comments

  1. I really love the Crafted Applique method and hope it works well for you. And "less is more" can definitely be the case - I think you did a beautiful job and I hope your client is well pleased.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have been so intimidated to quilt this one. you did a fantastic job!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That quilt is gorgeous. I would have been intimidated to work on it as well but you managed to take it up a notch. It's now spectacular. Can't wait to see more of your own project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so great at choosing the perfect quilting to compliment the design. Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! Thanks so much for taking time to leave me a message.