It was commissioned as a Christmas gift by the couple who own Firefly Dance, so I couldn't share right away.
And then I plum forgot!
As with Firefly Dance, I pieced the background and then created the images by removing colour.
I started by laying out the basic composition.
Then I covered the areas where I wanted to keep the colour of the cloth and applied the discharge product.
I thought it would be fun to play with positive and negative images over the edge of the moon.
To accomplish that, I did the discharge in two steps.
Step one preserved colour in the moon (as shown above), and step two removed colour from the background.
I originally thought the piece would be square, but as it developed it grew in length to make room for a more interesting composition.
As is my preference, "sketchy stitching" around the images helped define them while keeping an organic feel.
A touch of foil added the "glow". It's difficult to capture glow with my phone, but this kind of shows it . . .
Moon Glow now resides at the other end of the country, where I hope its new owner finds it pleasing!
Linking Up With:
Let's Bee Social @ Sew Fresh Quilts
Try, Learn, & Grow!