Postcard Accordion Book

My quilt guild recently created a nature-themed project for our town's 2019 time capsule.


Accordion book in progress
FreshofftheFrame.com

Our contribution needed to fit inside a jam-packed capsule, so we decided to work small and make postcards.

We then decided an accordion book would be the best way to keep the cards together, and would also be easy to display when the time capsule is opened in 50 years. (FIFTY YEARS!!!)

I volunteered to assemble the book. Small pieces of acrylic craft felt became "hinges" between the cards.

FreshofftheFrame.com

To determine how much space was needed between the cards, I mimicked how they would lay together when folded. Next, I wrapped the felt around the cards' edges and pinned to hold things in place.

FreshofftheFrame.com


I unfolded the cards and added dabs of fabric glue to temporarily hold the felt in place.

FreshofftheFrame.com


To permanently join them I sewed from the front, immediately beside the edge treatments, using invisible thread.

FreshofftheFrame.com


Soon an accordion book was born!

FreshofftheFrame.com


I collaged the cover using bits of my own painted and leaf-printed fabrics, a phrase cut from commercial yardage, and hand printing with permanent marker on a used tea bag. It was quick and fun to make!

A simple triple-stitch secured the raw edges.

FreshofftheFrame.com


On its back is a statement supporting our intent for the project and a list of current guild members for posterity, which I won't show here out of respect for people's privacy.

I will show the cards, though!

This was rather a last-minute project so I'm happy to have received eight little artworks.
Without further ado, here they are:

Canada Geese, by Lois


Northern Lights and Elk, by Sarah


North Country Fox, by Vivian


Northern Lights over the Lovely Peace River Valley, by Audrey


Paddle the Peace 10th Anniversary, August 2019, by Margaret


St. Augustina Mission, Peace River Crossing 1888, by Jill

Fall Leaves, by Aralee


River Walk, by Carole (me!)


Final presentation of the book:

FreshofftheFrame.com


Fresh off the Frame

Client quilts have been moving slowly, as I am moving slowly.

Our son and daughter-in-law's magical log house burned to the ground three weeks ago, and three of their four precious pets perished. It's been a blow to this momma's heart and soul to witness such a disaster. (70's wiring was the culprit - not something one could predict or prevent).

Thankfully they made it out intact, and the amount of love and support these two have received from friends and family has been truly amazing. Salve on the wounds.

Still, I haven't felt very ambitious. Just picking away at things.

Luckily I've already met my Christmas quilting deadlines. I wanted to have Christmas quilts done early to free up time for my work as the CQA/ACC Jury Coordinator. I'm glad I did. Not sure I'd have the heart to push for deadlines at the moment.

Here's what I've managed to accomplish lately:

BEFORE:

client quilt, before quilting
FreshofftheFrame.com

AFTER - such a handsome quilt!

client quilt, after quilting
FreshofftheFrame.com


Just the AFTERS of these lovlies:

Bubbles pantograph
FreshofftheFrame.com


Bones pantograph
FreshofftheFrame.com


Dazzle pantograph


Modern Twist pantograph
FreshofftheFrame.com


Flirtatious pantograph
FreshofftheFrame.com


OH, and our guild charity quilts were given to the local fire department to use at their discretion. I hope they won't be needed, but experience tells me they will be appreciated for their warmth and comfort if they are.

Ten "bowtie" quilts, ready to go!
FreshofftheFrame.com

As always, one must move onward and upward!

I'm off to my first, ever, "sound bath" this evening. I believe it's meditation-adjacent (is that a thing?), and am looking forward to some deep, soothing relaxation and regeneration.

FreshofftheFrame.com


Try, Learn, & Grow!
Carole

Comments

  1. Hi Carole,
    I was so saddened by the news of the fire and the loss of dear fur family members. The is such a tragedy before the holidays and this deep into winter. I do hope all moves forward for everyone in good and unexpected ways. Have a relaxing and peaceful holiday season surrounded by your loved ones and a happy new year as well!!.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Carole, I'm so sorry to hear about your son, daughter-in-law, and the loss of their home and pets. I'm glad they have receive such good support and I'll be sending you all love from afar.

    The hinges are fabulous and what a striking set of quilted postcards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The book is so very cool. and so many quilted quilts! I am very sorry about your son and DIL. I'm glad they are safe and sound, but what a loss to deal with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about the fire! So sad and scary. The postcard book is wonderful, as are your finished quilts (as always!) Please be gentle with yourself during this time of shock and slow recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to hear about the fire but glad they are okay. The postcards are lovely. Sending cyber hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, what a disaster to deal with, especially in winter! Your son and dil are blessed to have your support. Quilts can wait; life cannot. Those postcards are a special project, indeed! And I love the way you quilt the red and white quilt. Quilting makes such a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Carole, I'm so sorry to hear about the fire. That is so sad. Thanks for sharing your memory book. It`s really lovely. Yes, 50 years is a very long time! All the best,

    ReplyDelete
  8. I truly cannot thing of a more clever idea than the accordion book for the time capsule! Each postcard is perfection, the subject matter so close to my heart. Well done, ladies! Your client quilts came out well. I’m certain each maker was pleased with the results. Doesn’t it make you feel all warm and fuzzy to donate community quilts to such a worthy cause?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! Thanks so much for taking time to leave me a message.