Working on Scrappy Plus

Side clamps help control the pieced backing during quilting. Here, the first row is quilted.

"Drunken Feathers" panto by Four Paws - Barbara Becker.

Rolling the quilt off the frame after quilting is always gratifying.
Top thread = "Apricot Blush" Glide
Bobbin thread = cream Magna-Glide

Similar thread colours top and bottom help prevent "pokies", plus I love seeing what happens on the back when the thread doesn't match the fabric!


Back of the quilt, Fresh off the Frame!

Trimmed and ready to bind.

Back of quilt with corner flipped to show the front.

As I trimmed the quilt, I considered what to do about binding. Hmm.

Since I can't buy fabric (thanks to this pledge), I see three obvious choices:
  1. Scavenge the excess backing fabric I just trimmed away - there might be enough if I do some creative piecing, though I'm not sure solid brown is the right choice.
  2. Use the same purple flower fabric used in the top. I have a good chunk to work with, but I'm not in love with this idea.
  3. Make a binding with a flange using a combination of brown & purple flowers, or?? Maybe my magic cupboard holds a possibility I've yet to consider.
At this point I got a little camera-happy taking shot after shot, but I'll spare you the multitude and sign off with this view:

Front view with a corner flipped to show the back.
Linking up with Lorna for Let's Bee Social, Lee for WIP Wednesday, and Kelly for Needle and Thread Thursday.

Until next time,

Try, Learn, Grow!

Carole

Comments are welcome. Thanks so much for looking around!

Comments

  1. so jealous of your long arm! Beautiful quilting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love, Love, LOVE my long arm! I'm still a relative newbie, but am learning more all the time. :)

      Delete
  2. Wow! The plus is no longer hanging in front of your cupboard! The quilting is simply gorgeous. I love a flanged binding myself. And if you don't like the idea of using the brown, maybe the cupboard has a surprise in store for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorna! I'm toying with the option of making a scrappy binding (if I have enough scraps) with a brown flange, but have to get into the sewing room and SEE what works. Sometimes what looks good in my head doesn't look so great in real life!

      Delete
  3. Your quilt looks fantastic! Congrats on the stash busting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristin! Sometimes sticking with the stash busting seems like a major challenge, but I'm always happier with the results than if I'd had an easier option.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful quilt, and I love the quilting pattern! Good luck on the binding. There are so many beautiful colors in the quilt that you have lots of options. Maybe you have a shade of orange in your stash that will work?

    Thank you so much for sharing at Needle and Thread Thursday!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your quilt and the colors. I've been cutting my squares for this quilt too, it's going to be my summer project this year. After seeing yours I'm excited to start on mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Harriett. I hope you will love your plus quilt as much as I love mine!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! Thanks so much for taking time to leave me a message.