Stitches and Petals

Museum Quilt Progress

Printable fabrics are not forgiving. At. All.
The fabric has a tight weave so photos will look crisp when they are printed. The tight weave also means that holes made in the fabric are permanent. Once a stitch is made, there's no going back!

Decision time - which thread? (the far one was the winner)
FreshofftheFrame.com

Such large photos needed to be quilted down to prevent them from sagging later . . . plus the quilting would smarten up any blocks that had stretched during construction. I figured an all-over design would visually disappear while adding the necessary structure.

Fast forward and here it is, Fresh off the Frame!

Viewers know the thread is there, but the photos are still the stars of the show.
FreshofftheFrame.com

Natural light spilling across the right-hand side of the quilt (above) clearly shows the texture of the quilting. The two blocks on the far left are in shadow. They are a fair representation of how the quilt normally looks.

The name of the pattern is Alaska Photo Album, by Lisa Moore. Its 3-D effect is quite surprising!
(Do the album pages fold "in", or do they stick "out"??? Fascinating!)

Celebrating 100 years of transportation history in northern Alberta
FreshofftheFrame.com
If you'd like to know more of this quilt's story, please click here.

Insert Gardening Here!

The potato patch is nothing but deep holes at the moment.

Under a bit of dirt in the bottom of each hole lies a seed potato. As the plants grow, I'll gradually fill in the holes by replacing the dirt that came out of them . . . kind of reverse-hilling, I guess!

This will be my second potato crop, ever - can you believe it?
I'd avoided growing potatoes for years because I thought they'd be a pain, but they are easy peasy! (Especially with great instruction and advice from Amy and her mom, Pat!)

Half of the holes are dug - looks like a giant rodent problem!
FreshofftheFrame.com

I'm always happy when perennials come back to life. This blue geranium is currently duking it out with the chives under the crabapple tree. They are both so pretty, I really don't mind who wins!

Blue geranium - I'm sure it has a fancy name, but casual works for me!
FreshofftheFrame.com


Chives
FreshofftheFrame.com


Fresh off the Frame
This week there were flowers inside, too!

Do some of these prints look familiar?
Isn't it amazing how every quilt created with fabric from the floral fabric exchange has its own character? They are all sew pretty!


FreshofftheFrame.com

 
And then Flower Power popped up.
Bam! More flowers!!!

Flower Power, front
FreshofftheFrame.com

The back of Flower Power is as special as the front.

Flower Power, back
FreshofftheFrame.com

Quilted with "Tweet, Tweet" panto.

FreshofftheFrame.com


Laina's Famous!
Well, maybe not famous, but she's in the latest Canadian Quilter magazine! Her quilt is currently in Ontario waiting to be hung in the national show. Both of these things are terribly exciting for us!!!

FreshofftheFrame.com

Oh! I don't think I've shown her beauty-of-a-prize from Cantik Batiks yet . . . It's amazing!



FreshofftheFrame.com

Methinks there will be (a lot) more quilting in Laina's future!

Try, Learn, & Grow!
Carole 

Comments

  1. Great quilts. Good luck with the potatoes. There's nothing better than eating potatoes fresh out of the ground xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to Laina. What a wonderful prize.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've worked with printable fabrics and you're so right, they are not forgiving. The quilt is amazing. Love seeing your gardens, both inside and out. Congrats, again, to Laina and I hope she enjoys her prize.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's just so exciting about Laina taking off in the world of quilting. The prize she won is something special!
    I never knew how people would quilt a photo quilt, fir all the very reasons you discussed Carole. Yet the all over design suits it perfectly. I love the overall layout too!
    The floral quilts are so fun! The first reminds me of getting a colorful garden catalogue.
    Good luck with them there taters! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet you're happy the museum quilt is finished, and so beautifully. Lovely flowery quilts too and looking forward to seeing more of Laina's sewing with her prize - if I were you I'd be having big problems restraining myself with all those lovely batiks, I'd be having very bad thoughts of maybe taking a little 'commission' from her price for the use of your sewing equipment!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! Thanks so much for taking time to leave me a message.