Sweet Summertime!

Guess what?? 

I have taken some time away from client quilting to enjoy the sweetest things summer has to offer. This includes personal quilting projects - woo hoo!

I've been working on a king-sized Metro Rings quilt for almost two years, and it's finally on the frame. Hopefully, I'll have a finish to show in a week or two. Yay!

There are 120 blocks to feather, but who's counting?
(I am. I'm counting. I'm 20% done with feathers and just starting the rest.)
FreshofftheFrame.com

I've also started piecing two identical single-bed-sized quilts, and I'm enjoying every stitch.

I was thrilled to find a fat-quarter pack of lights that would be perfect for a scrappy look. I don't care if that's cheating. I'm happy! I did need to hunt for the darks, but that turned out to be pretty easy. 

Delicious new fabric!
FreshofftheFrame.com

This traditional block is in the public domain, so I drew it out. I needed to make a test block to check my math before cutting a pile of fabric into bits.

Testing my math - looks good!
FreshofftheFrame.com

Once I knew all was well, I cut 22 fat quarters into 2-inch squares. At that point, I realized that I would need another fat quarter pack. I was able to get one, so now I'm off to the races!

22 fat quarters, all chopped up!
FreshofftheFrame.com

Here's the block with the wall colour and retro lamps in our bonus room. I know I'm going to love these quilts in that space! 

Testing the colours. I love them!
FreshofftheFrame.com

With time off, I've been able to have my youngest grandchild (7) over for a full day every week.

The two of us have helped my mom with chores (his great-grandma), spent lots of time at the library, in the garden, in the kitchen, playing cards, and - of course - he wanted to start a quilt! I'm not sure where he got the idea, but he is determined to make a charity quilt to help someone feel better. He is a sweetheart.

Helping Great-Grandma with some painting prep.
FreshofftheFrame.com

Learning to piece his charity quilt
FreshofftheFrame.com

My Summer has looked a lot like this:

Camping S'mores. Mmm! 

There was a bit of a marshmallow cooking competition going on with the grandkids, and I think I won. Just saying. Hee hee!

S'more, please!
FreshofftheFrame.com

A lost chick followed me around for a while like I was its momma. Poor thing probably blew out of a tree when it stormed the night before. Not sure of its fate, but it was gone when we came back to our campsite after a walk.

"Are you my mother?"
FreshofftheFrame.com

Geese at the lakeshore. I gathered many feathers without really knowing why. Yet.

Great feather-shedders. The shore was littered with them every day!
FreshofftheFrame.com

Dogwoods in the shade - a nice surprise! I don't see them too often.

Sweet flowers in the underbrush.
FreshofftheFrame.com

My granddaughter's grad quilt, under construction. She graduated high school last year, and leapt at the chance to choose a pattern and pick out fabrics as her gift. Both halves are together now. Just need to figure out the borders.

A pattern from "Not Your Grandmother's Log Cabin" book.
FreshofftheFrame.com

My garden is a source of daily joy. I grow a riot of food and flowers, intermixed with abandon! Plants that volunteer are also welcomed and enjoyed.

Nasturtiums and zucchini plants do well together.
FreshofftheFrame.com

Sour cherries from our trees have been made into compote, baked into flans (I guess that's what this could be called?) and cakes. The trees were planted only two years ago. I'm impressed with their bounty.

Sour cherry dessert
FreshofftheFrame.com

Speaking of bounty . . . people joke about trying to get rid of their zucchinis, but we LOVE them roasted, fried, or baked. Our favourite is zucchini jalapeno poppers. Yum!

Zucchini boats, ready to be filled with jalapeno, bacon and cheesy goodness.
FreshofftheFrame.com

Visits with long-time family friends. Salve for the soul! 

It was so good to spend time with my "other mother" from childhood and my lifetime friend! (My actual Mom is on the far right, and I'm on the left - in the least flattering selfie possible, I'm sure! haha)

Forever friends.
FreshofftheFrame.com

A quick visit with my university bestie at her guitar camp talent show was also very fun! She's the beautiful soul at the mic, third from the left. Other friends and happy acquaintances made the smile in my heart even bigger!

Talent at guitar camp!
FreshofftheFrame.com

I had the pleasure of co-judging the Focus on Fibre Art Association's show in Edmonton at the end of July. There were some amazingly well-done and creative pieces entered, that's for sure! 

I didn't take pictures while judging, of course, and during the opening there were people everywhere!! I snagged a couple of quick snaps, but intend to purchase the show book when it comes out. Now, I'm sorry that many of my photos are too blurry or "people-y" to share! 

But, to give you a taste, isn't this a creative use for a vintage case? The outside is as decorated as the inside.

Focus on Fibre Art Association show entry, by Louise Jenkins.
FreshofftheFrame.com


Until next time,

Try, Learn and Grow!

Carole

Comments

  1. What a fun post! So many things going on. I love your granddaughter's quilt. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! Thanks so much for taking time to leave me a message.