Somehow my work space shrank to approximately 15 inches square. Ever have that happen?
|Time to clean up!|
Time to clear the deck.
Being my stubborn self, I decided that my fabric would fit into its designated cabinet NO MATTER WHAT.
It meant pulling everything out and re-folding every piece of fabric, but I did it!
The mess got bigger before it got better, but it was a great way to rediscover my stash!
And, look - my table has been FOUND!!!
Now I'm on a mission to use things up!
First up, I made three reversible minky & flannel crib blankets for my sweet, new grandson.
|Minky "giraffe" and a wee baby laugh!|
The blankets would have knocked my stash back several meters - if I hadn't purchased the fabric specially for the job. (Hmm. I'm beginning to understand my problem . . .)
Second attempt at stash busting - half a dozen baby bibs.
This time I DID raid the stash - the special stash. (Everyone has a special stash, right?)
When we were little, my brother and I had pjs made from this very fabric! My mom passed her flannel leftovers to me when my kids were little. What I didn't use for them was tucked away again, and has now been resurrected for my grandson!
Let's call that fabric "vintage". (Just ZIP IT if you thought "antique". Ha!)
|Ready for their first wash to fluff their edges|
I used a bib from my daughter's babyhood as a pattern.
(Yes, I saved it. Yes, it was used for all of my kids and grands - and visiting littles, too. And yes, I'll probably keep it forever! Doesn't everybody keep random baby items forever?)
|The original bib - rootin' tootin' cute!|
Anywho. Enough about my hoarding ways. Back to the bibs!
How they were made
I decided to use flannel (instead of denim) to keep the bibs soft and flexible. The goal is to keep baby's neckline dry when he drools, eats, and spits up. Absorbent is good!
To make a symmetrical shape, I traced the left half of the original bib onto tracing paper. I then folded the tracing paper in half, vertically, and traced the right half.
The bib is made with TWO layers of flannel. Place them WRONG sides together with the pattern on top, and cut both layers at once.
I cut the outline using my rotary cutter - no need to worry about perfection with a soon-to-be raggy edge!
Oh! I used a rotary circle tool for the neck holes, too.
See the lines I marked to find the center point of the red circle? If you save that first cut-out to use as a centering guide for the remaining bibs you won't have to mark again. Just set the marked piece in place according to the pattern, remove the pattern, and then cut using the tool.
Another tip - don't cut the separating line all the way through to the neck hole.
|Leave a bridge|
Cutting it partway lets you know where to sew, but the "bridge" keeps things from flopping around and stretching out of shape as you stitch.
Layering the wrong sides together means you are now ready to sew without adding any extra flips or turns!
It is possible to sew the entire perimeter AND the neck hole without breaking the thread. I used about a half-inch seam allowance - don't worry about being too exact here. Close is good enough!
Start on one side of the bib and stitch to the slash - turn the corner and follow the slash to the neck hole. Follow around the hole back to the slash. Turn the corners and stitch your way back out to the perimeter.
|Stitch all around|
This is what it looks like after stitching:
At that point, finish cutting the slash to the neck hole.
Then snip around the entire perimeter and the neck hole to create a raggy edge. Be careful to cut UP TO the stitched line, but not through it.
Add a small snap or a bit of Velcro to finish.
I happened to have *ahem* VINTAGE snaps on hand from my very first sewing kit - laugh if you will, but they came in pretty handy 40 years later, didn't they? Ha!
From a safety perspective, I wouldn't use anything around a baby's neck that doesn't release easily. Please use your best judgement if you decide to try a similar project!
The bibs measure about 10 or 10.5 inches wide, and about 14 inches long. The neck hole is 3.5 inches across. Keep the fasteners inside, and close to, the stitched edges of the neck "ends" by the slash - you don't need much overlap.
In the Studio
You know how sometimes simple, classic designs trump fancy ones? The quilt on my frame is a case in point.
I'm reluctant to say how long this has been on the frame, but it's been a while.
I tried some stuff. And I *hated* it. So I tried some more stuff. And hated that, too!
That's real life for ya. Sometimes things don't work out the way you think they should.
Now that the quilting plan has been simplified, the quilt is much happier!! (and so am I!) I just wish I'd taken this route sooner.
My seam ripper and I will be "reverse sewing" tomorrow, and then I'll be able to finish the last three blocks and get this beauty back to its owner!
They still tell me I'm not allowed to move in yet. Spoil sports. Ha!
I believe the plan for this week is to get the walls primed and to start the flooring - yay!
Try, Learn, & Grow!