After loading the quilt on the frame, I "ditched" along each seam in the background. I then, very carefully, secured the applique. I didn't want to secure my fingers by mistake!
Stitching applique on the longarm was a first for me (try, learn, grow...right?). It seemed like it would be faster than on my domestic machine, and I needed to get this done quickly. It worked! I was done in no time.
I used light, medium, and dark threads to match the value of each fabric.
Filling each section of the quilt with texture helped the applique pop out.
Here is a closeup of the river, the far shore and tree line, and the sky beyond the trees.
And, here's a shot just because!
I had painted the sky fabric last summer, and added a bit of colour to the river fabric after piecing the background in September. I'm happy with both.
And here is the finished piece (in natural light):
It really is square, but my photo angle is weird here.
I was trying to capture the texture and forgot to pay attention to how I lined up. Oops!
We (guild members) decided that binding would block the flow of the river from piece to piece. Facing to the rescue!
One of my favourite tutorials is for a double fold facing. It is easy and gives a great finish to a quilt.
I'm so excited...I can hardly wait to see our pieces hanging together in the show!!!
It also makes me very happy to have met my October goal for A Lovely Year of Finishes.
(I set my goal in this post.)
Linking up with:
A Lovely Year of Finishes, at Sew BitterSweet Designs and Fiber of All Sorts
Show off Saturday, at Sew Can She
Fabric Frenzy Friday, at Fort Worth Fabric Studio
Whoop Whoop Friday, at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Try, Learn, Grow!
Comments are welcome and will be answered by email where possible. Thanks for looking around!