|Client quilt, fresh off the frame!|
My client told me a story that ended with the top having been washed prior to arriving at my studio.
As a result, it was a bit cranky at first, and had to be coaxed into behaving.
|Loading a slightly cranky quilt|
A loose, swirly pantograph helped things along.
|"Ripples" panto looks great!|
My client has the soul of an artist and was excited that the mountain scene would have extra texture and dimension! Yay!!!
Even so, I wanted to exert a bit of control over the lay of the land.
In an attempt to distribute the fabric across the area, I spritzed it with water and patted it into place. No matter what, it insisted on laying in vertical rows. I eventually gave up and went with it. Some battles ya just can't win!
|Spritzed, patted, and left to dry over night|
The mountain worked out well, but drat! I ended up stitching a couple of pleats into the foreground! (That area was just as stubborn as - or worse than - the mountain fabric had been.)
|Aack! Wrinkles are okay, but pleats were not in the plan!|
Out came my seam ripper (my faithful companion). After the pleats were released, I was able to convince them to relax into soft wrinkles so they wouldn't be as obvious.
|Soft wrinkles will be even softer after the quilt is washed.|
My client was right - the extra texture adds dimension that is quite delightful!
In my mind's eye, the baby who receives this quilt will spend many hours of tactile enjoyment, stroking and feeling its softly intriguing surface. So soothing.
And so stinkin' cute!
The wall hanging featured in my previous post came back from my guildmates today - finished!
One last photo op before it goes off the the museum:
I think the dark binding is the perfect finishing touch - and I love how the border quilting looks now that it has a frame!
|A frame improves the look of...everything!|
Thanks for dropping by!
Try, Learn, & Grow!